Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Harry's 2012 Ironman Louisivlle Mini Race Report



There's a book that could be written about how I ended up doing this race, how I trained for it and probably a doctoral thesis worth of heart rate training data but in lieu of all that I'll share results and my impressions from raceday.

The Numbers:

Overall: 15:26:15 (about where I thought I would be given the heat)

Swim: 1:29:03 (I thought this could be anywhere between 1:10 & 1:30)
T1:  15:14 (Knew this would take a little time)
Bike: 7:47:08 (Being passed for the 1st 80 miles then passing people for the last 32 miles)
T2: 14:48 (I thought I was quicker than this)
Run: 5:40:02 (Negative split - pace went up after the sun went down)

Memorable Moments:

  • In line for the swim start laying on the ground stargazing and wondering if some other creature on some other planet was getting ready for something equivalent.
  • Running into Tripp and Jen on the swim where they were walking on water on the sand bar in the channel.
  • Wishing I could remember how many bridges I was supposed to swim under.
  • Having my the hardest part of my day (the bike) kick started by cheers of my family and the greatest group of race supporters you could ever hope to have be there for you. I know what it feels like to be a rock star!!!
  • Running over a water bottle at the 1st water stop aid station with my back wheel. Losing my tool pouch. Have enough sense to stop and have a volunteer retrieve it for me. Then never needing it! Some Coach Vader's wisdom in play: Take the time along the way to do whatever you need to do.
  • Having a dark moment on the bike around mile 55. Remembering what Joe Friel says: It's probably nutrition. Took myself off the eating every 20 minutes plan and began eating everything I had with me starting with the Tears of the Unicorn otherwise know as Peanut Butter filled Pretzels.
  • The absolute carnage that was the 2nd loop and the return leg. Cyclists on the side of the road and a parade of ambulances carrying them back to town.
  • Having taken it ridiculously easy on the finger and the 1st loop and getting passed by everyone and  and passing people for the last 32 miles.
  • Negative split another marathon during a full iron distance triathlon.
  • 4 new wet sponges & ice at nearly every aid station on the run course along with leaving every aid station on the run course with my handheld full of ice water to keep pouring on my head & the sponges.
  • Seeing my family, teammates,  teammates friends, past & present training buddies and The Hottest Support Crew in Louisville all day long.
Lessons Learned:

  • Stay near the yellow bouys & KNOW where the turn bouys are.
  • Avoid the 1st bike aid station like the plague. My race could have VERY easily ended <9 miles into the race.
  • As if I didn't know this already about my self but I don't really get warmed up until about mile 80 on the bike.
  • Full and complete stop at every bike aid station after the 1st. Most of 2 bottles to refill the Aquacell with the rest on my head and neck.Excellent plan.
  • On the run course my stomach gets full after about an hour - probably all of the solid food on the bike - & if I skip taking anything at the next aid I'll be fine for the next one.
  • Eating those gels in my race number belt during the last 90 minutes of the run makes it worth carrying them.
  • I need to transition to some sort of tri short or something with some light compression and no pockets on the run. Silver dollar sized chafing on the front of both thighs where I was carrying things in the front pockets of my run shorts & a 5 inch by 2 inch spot on right inner thigh from the liner in the shorts.
  • Staying in the host hotel was totally worth it.
  • Louisville, pronounced the way they do on the local TV news and by the locals, is a word that consists of two grunts with your tongue stuck to the top of your mouth.

1 comment: