Saturday, November 12, 2011

Clingman's Dome 11-11-11 - Active Rest


Being a reformed couch potato or at least one who only swam (and swam badly) a few times a week until I returned to running in 2008 after a 10 year break - it's fun to do things like I did yesterday. Visit Clingman's Dome. Here's the Wiki Link if you want know more. Clingman's Dome is the highest point in Tennessee and the 2nd or 3rd highest point in North Carolina. The state's borders run right through the observation tower at the top which has an elevation of 6643 ft. above sea level.


My oldest suggested the trip and yesterday was a perfect but chilly day for it. At 2 pm when we stopped by the store at the bottom of the trail it was just getting to above freezing and there was quite a wind. It's a 1/2 mile up a freshly paved trail from the parking lot. The trail gains a couple of hundred feet of elevation on the way to the observation tower.

I have to admit that on my rest day I did do couple 50-75 yds runs going up the trail. When's the next time I am going get to see what it feels like to run at +6600 feet? :)

A few more pics...

















The family's 1st taste of the Appalachian Trail. Or as I kept tell my wife 'til she was sick of it - the people in the know call it the AT.



















At the top of the Observation Tower. My fashion senses is a little whacked (and my friends are just as screwy as me).



















About 1 o'clock in this photo is Mt. Mitchell about 75 miles away. Nice clear day.

No comments:

Post a Comment